Shock Therapy Race Steering Rack & Pinion
17-19 Polaris RZR XP Turbo (Long Pinion)
Is your steering rack loose, worn out, or even broken? Shock Therapy's Race Rack & Pinion is your solution. When Shock Therapy's steering rack broke during a race they searched the market for a rack that was strong enough to withstand the abuse of racing, when they couldn't fine one, they designed their own. This isn't just a replacement steering rack, Shock Therapy has put countless hours of research and development into designing the strongest and longest lasting Rack & Pinion on the market!
- Made in USA!
- 7075 Billet Aluminum
- Dispersed Grease Passages
- Patent Pending Gear Tooth Design
What Makes it the best?
- 7075 Aluminum construction - This high grade aluminum is almost as strong as carbon steel and costs 3 times as much as the more common 6000 series aluminum.
- Hard anodized plating - This hardened surface not only prevents wear in the harshest of environments but it also extends the life of the rack internally.
- Dispersed grease passage lubrication - Shock Therapy's SINGLE grease fitting feeds 6 different spots in the rack through a network of internal passages. Proper lubrication is key to Rack life. Some of the spots the internal passages feed are the pinion gear, rack gear on all four sides and the vertical stress load spots where the rack gear sees the most potential wear. Tight internal tolerances make it so you will only need to grease this rack with two pumps of a grease gun every 1000 miles.
- Huge 1"x1" square rack gear - This massive gear is twice as thick as the stock round gear which is the stock rack's weakest point. The size of this gear prevents bending and breakage. The material used is also 125% stronger than the stock material. Another important thing about a square rack gear is that it prevents twist. The stock, round gear tends to twist in the rack body as the tie rods force it up and down. This twist wedges the rack gear into the pinion tooth which ultimately causes it to break.
- Pre heat treated rack gear - Most racks use a soft material for the rack gear making it easier to machine, then heat treat it often leaving larger tolerances or warps in the material. Shock Therapy stars with pre-hardened material that was perfectly straight then cut the gear teeth. This is a very expensive process, the tooling wears out fast and the machine time is 5 times longer. However, the end result is a perfectly straight gear with less than 1 thousandth of tolerance! This tolerance tightens up the rack body and removes any play in the rack, which reduces wear.
- Patented Gear Tooth Design - Shock Therapy has a patent pending tooth design that has TWICE the base thickness on the gear as a standard system does.
- Heat Treated Pinion Gear - Our pinion gear starts out as a solid billet of 4140 Chromoly. After machining their patented tooth pattern, the pinion is heat treated. Resulting in a material harder than a carbon steel drill bit for superior strength and longevity!
- Pinion Bearings - Shock Therapy created a new system where the pinion bearing is not pressed in but just barely slides into the rack body with just 1 thousandth of an inch of clearance. Then, our bearing retainer plate has a 10 thousandth step in it which pre loads the bearing vertically so it can't move and can't tighten up on the pinion gear this reduces rack function.
- Faster Steering Ratio - Shock Therapy's Race Rack is a quick turn system. Fully extended it rotates the wheel just past 3/4 of a turn from center. This means that our rack has just over a 1.5 turn radius.
- High Quality Rod Ends - Our Race rack uses huge 5/8 rod ends for the tie rod pivots on the ends of the rack gear. Shock Therapy only uses the highest quality, Teflon lined, FK JMX10-T rod ends.
- "Taper Lock" Jam Nuts - Our Patent Pending rod end jam nuts, called "Taper Lock" are an industry first. The "Taper Lock" system that uses a machinist tool taper to lock the jam nut and rod end in place. As you tighten the jam nut, the male taper of the nut and the female taper of the rack gear seat together and lock. These jam nuts double up as the steering stops for the rack travel as well.
- 4130 Chromoly Clevises - The tie rod clevises are made from solid 4130 Chromoly and use high tolerance 5/8 diameter shoulder bolts to connect to the 5/8 rod ends in the rack. The WELD on clevises have two machined steps in them that are designed to insert into your tie rod tubing and weld on. The tubing diameters for the clevis are 1" .120 wall tubing and 1 1/4 .095 wall tubing. Shock Therapy also offers a 5/8 threaded clevis that are designed to thread into your aftermarket tie rods or into a long travel kit. Lastly, they offer a longer clevis for Lone Star tie rods. Be sure to choose your clevis carefully so you get exactly what fits your tie rod system the best.
- Please be aware that this steering rack is a race part and as such does NOT carry a warranty.
- Improper installation and/or maintenance may cause premature wear.
- Clevis's can NOT be installed into Race Rack, clevis needs to be threaded into Tie Rods.
- This rack can not be used with stock tie rods. You must use an aftermarket set that uses 5/8 Rod Ends on each end.
- This rack will NOT fit Polaris RZR XP1000
- LONE STAR CLEVIS uses a longer 5/8" thread to fit the Lonestar tie rod